Saturday, October 24, 2015

Accuspark to the rescue

After installing the new PowerLite starter motor, the Lotus would not fire. The engine would pop and splutter, but I discovered there was no spark on cylinders 1 and 4.

The absence of spark is probably my own fault. I knocked the Pertronix distributor cap askew while installing a NOS Smiths "oil pressure" sending unit last month. I ordered a new cap & rotor, but there is a 5 week wait!

A friend suggested I should try the Accuspark ignition system. They just released a Lucas 23D distributor / ignition kit that fits the Lotus Twin Cam engine, so I ordered one from: http://www.accuspark.co.uk/distributors.html

The kit arrived in 3 business days and took about 2 hours to install. It comes with a new distributor, wires, coil and spark plugs. You do need to solder low tension leads on, but installation is straight forward. The Lotus fired up on the third pull.

Thank you Accuspark!

Accuspark_instructions.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment